I had a really big text file and I didn’t know how to open it. Then I found this small software developed by David Pye. It helped me to divide the file into smaller pieces so I can keep open them and play around with. Apart from splitting files it can do lot of other useful things with text files.
It is a simple interface with all options squezed in one small GUI. It looks like the following screenshot without much menus and toolbars.
This software can be used to edit text files the easy way. Join or split files while adding, deleting or replacing text, change to upper or lower case, capitalise all words or the start of all lines, add text to the start or end of lines, remove leading or trailing spaces, add or remove blank lines, remove text blocks, alphabetise lines in file(s), split files at specified lines or text or into a specified number of files, works on multiple files and on files of unlimited size. I wrote this for my own use after I couldn’t find a program to do what I wanted, it’s extremely easy to use with a simple interface.
Some of the tasks it can do are listed as follows:
1. Remove leading spaces and tabs.
2. Remove trailing spaces.
3. Remove all blank lines.
4. Add a blank line after each line.
5. Capitalize the first letter of each line.
6. Capitalize the first letter of each word.
7. Capitalize all text.
8. Make all text lower case.
9. Sort the lines in the file(s) alphabetically.
10. Remove text from the start of each line.
11. Remove text from the end of each line.
12. Remove text from everywhere in the file(s).
13. Add text to the start of each line.
14. Add text to the end of each line.
15. Add text in a new line after each line.
16. Remove a block of text.
17. Replace text everywhere.
18. Join multiple files and include dividers.
You can also split a file in the following ways:-
1. Into a specified number of files.
2. Every X number of lines.
3. Split at the end of specified text.
4. The first 17 editing functions can also be included when splitting a file.
The file can be downloaded from the developer’s site.
Tags: text edit, file split, text, freeware